Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Let's Eat!


As some of you may know, I'm a consultant-in-training in Relationship Development Intervention. RDI is a remedial approach to treating Autism Spectrum Disorders. It treats the core deficits of Autism- the Autism itself. The treatment utilizes a consultation model to train parents to teach dynamic intelligence skills and motivation to their children. In RDI we use everyday activities as the vehicles for teaching these skills.

In my role as consultant, I'm always on the lookout for fun activities I can recommend to parents I consult with, along with everyday activities such as laundry, cleaning the kitchen, or washing the car. Today I found a great place to recommend.

I'd received an email advertisement for a new place here in Naples, called "Let's Eat!" so I thought I'd go check it out. "Let's Eat" is a meal assembly kitchen where there are lots of little "mini-kitchens" set up with ingredients already prepped, so that busy people can create a bunch of meals that they can then store in their freezer. Then, on those busy week-nights when you get home late and don't feel like cooking from scratch, you have a pre-made meal that just needs to be popped in the oven or heated on the stove. While your dinner is cooking, you can relax, maybe with a glass of wine, and prepare a salad or a few sides. Similar places have popped up throughout the U.S. You can find out if there is a place in your area here.

This concept has a lot to offer busy families. You can spend some quality time with your child in a guided participation activity that offers lots of opportunities to develop communication skills and share worthwhile experiences. Plus- you get to eat what you make! The woman in the store mentioned that some of her customers feel that their kids are more willing to try new foods that they have made themselves.

Tonight I had the "Oven Roasted Rosemary Chicken" and all I can say is "yum."

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment